The Healthy Hedonist
A fun lover's guide to great health
hedonism, n. the pursuit of pleasure; sensual self-indulgence
- The New Oxford American Dictionary
Five Tips for Avoiding Hangovers
Every once in a while, a person needs to kick out the jams. So I say, "Everything in moderation, including moderation!"
But hangovers are absolutely no fun, so plan ahead:
- Be like Scarlett O’Hara. Eat something of nutritional value before you go to the party.
- Think Italian. Bread dipped in olive oil at the beginning of the evening is a good way to coat your stomach. Pellegrino mineral water is a fun way to stay hydrated while you’re drinking, and garlic is one of the best things you can do for your liver.
- Consult your emotional barometer. Are you elated? Depressed? Stressed? Exhausted? Extremes of mood can affect your judgment and fatigue can lower your tolerance. For women, the monthly hormonal barometer is another important gauge to check. If it’s close to that time of the month, your liver is already handling an extra load.
- If you’re going to have more than a couple of drinks, don’t drink “girl” drinks. Avoid sweet or bubbly concoctions. Eggnog? Bad idea. Punch? You can’t know what’s in it. Sugar and carbonation speed the rate alcohol enters the bloodstream. Dark colored alcohol is also more dangerous because of “congeners” used in the distilling process, but if you drink the good stuff, with water or soda, you may be okay.
- Just like an athlete, you have to stay hydrated. Drink a glass of water along with or between every alcoholic beverage you drink. It’s often too late to make up for dehydration at the end of the evening.